Sunday, May 3, 2009

Little Ductlings

We have two exhaust ducts coming out of the soffit on the north side of the house. One is for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. For our renovation I have designed the eaves to be thin (3.5") and didn't think about how to make a 3" duct turn 90 degrees in a 3.5" cavity. I spent a good deal of time looking on the web for soffit vents that would work and found nothing. I also spent a lot of time in the hardware store trying to put something together from off the shelf pieces. I ended up taking standard galvanized steel duct and fabricating these two 90 degree elbows. With my snips, a rivet gun and some foil metal duct tape I came up with these two. When I was done (and it took a while to make these) I thought to myself that someone who knows a lot more than me must have done this before. A product must be out there because not everyone wants to see those exhaust hoods on the side of there house.

No comments: